Based on Andersen’s 40-year career, it offers a unique insight into his personal perspective on the art of editing and storytelling in documentary film.
The book introduces the reader to the principles and methods of creative editing, and dives deep into the editing processes of 8 films that Andersen has edited. The focus is on the process of creation, and on questions such as: How do you find a story in chaotic material from reality? How does the film find it’s emotional expression and tone? How does the dialogue between director and editor affect the final film?
Through the e-book, the reader gets access not only to exclusive clips from the 8 films, but also filmed conversations on the editing process between Andersen and the films’ directors, providing a rare look behind the scenes of some of the most significant documentaries in recent times.
The 8 films are:
- Dying – a Part of Living (Dola Bonfils)
- The German Secret (Lars Johansson)
- Flying – Confessions of a Free Woman (Jennifer Fox)
- The 3 Rooms of Melancholia (Pirjo Honkasalo)
- The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer)
- The Look of Silence (Joshua Oppenheimer)
- Mogadishu Soldier (Torstein Grude)
- Human Flow (Ai Weiwei)